Dr. Stephen M. Taylor, Dr. Jim O. Taylor and Dr. William Reed provide tooth extractions to remove damaged teeth from your mouth and begin the process of restoring your oral health and smile. We will work closely with you throughout your entire treatment to determine if a tooth should be removed, gently extract it and find the proper replacement for your smile.
When Is a Tooth Extraction Necessary?
While our goal is to help you avoid an extraction through preventive care, some conditions may make one necessary. These conditions include:
- Significant tooth decay that has damaged the tooth beyond the point where it cannot be successfully restored.
- Severe infection has destroyed a significant portion of the tooth and its supporting bone structure.
- Overcrowding prevents your teeth from fitting in your mouth correctly
When we remove your tooth, our dentists will first provide an anesthetic to numb the area and ensure your comfort. The tooth will then be extracted as gently as possible. The tooth will be gently loosened using special instruments before being pulled out of the gums and bone supporting it. We will then clean and disinfect the socket and place a piece of gauze over the extraction site to help stop any bleeding at the site.
Following your extraction, our dentists and team will provide you with detailed post-op instructions to help you heal and recover.
We recommend that you:
- Avoid chewing for at least two hours or until the anesthetic wears off
- Use an ice pack to decrease swelling
- Do not touch the extraction site with your tongue or fingers
- Do not drink through a straw or swish and spit vigorously
- Try to avoid blowing your nose or sneezing violently
- Do not rinse your mouth the day of surgery
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products for several days following the extraction
- Relax as much as possible, avoid all strenuous activities for the first 24 hours after your procedure and keep your head elevated
- Maintain a soft diet for 48 hours
After you have recovered, we will work closely with you to find the right type of replacement for your missing tooth so that you can regain a healthy, beautiful smile.
To learn more about tooth extractions in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and schedule a consultation with our dentists, contact Taylor Dental & Implant Center at 405-722-4400 and speak with a member of our team.